I guess I'm a little late with this one, but oh well, I DID IT. Here's how 2016 shaped up. (I am kind of with my girl over at Life of a Doctor's Wife--it might be time to update some of these questions.)
1. What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
Went to improv camp! Went on a week-long family vacation. (Related: Went to New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts.) Went to Michigan! Went to Wisconsin! Went to (brunch in) Indiana! Went to Mt. Hood! Went to a lot of new places!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any. I might for 2017, check back here.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. (I always feel like I must be forgetting someone. I hope not!)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you didn't have in 2016?
Clarity/direction around what I'm doing with regard to comedy.
7. What dates from 2016 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
November 8th was a real shit day and YOU KNOW WHY.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I sent my little infant baby off to kindergarten. Towards the end of the year, I made a commitment to do more yoga, and I did something like 30 classes in three months. My teacher said she could tell my practice was improving and that I was getting stronger. I walked/ran 625 miles, the most I've done since I started keeping track in 2013.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I did a lot of thinking about what I'm going to do, instead of just doing.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. I am fairly certain I didn't get sick once--a far cry from 2013, where I was sick CONSTANTLY. Of course, for the last three months, I've been waiting for the winter cold to make its appearance, so that's fun.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Anything related to our family vacation.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of us who stood up for what we believed in.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, travel, cocktails, dinners out.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Family vacation! Improv camp!
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
That dance dance dance song by Justin Timberlake.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: A) happier or sadder? B) thinner or fatter? C) richer or poorer?
A) Maybe a little sadder.
B) Fatter. Who even cares.
C) About the same? Maybe a little richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
The three of us spent Christmas at home, just us and a shitton of food. The usual. (I kept this answer from last year because as I said, it's the usual. We're pretty predicable.)
21. Did you fall in love with 2016?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Vanderpump Rules, Below Deck, all the Housewives, Gilmore Girls (old school and reboot), The Americans, Billions, The Night Of (so good, so sad), Shameless, Stranger Things, Ladies of London, The Affair, Homeland.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
NOPE. I HATED HIM LAST YEAR TOO.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Bullet, by Mary Louise Kelly.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
A family vacation!
27. What did you want and not get?
Comedy comedy comedy.
28. What was your favorite film of 2016?
I do not think I watched a new movie except for Moana on Christmas Eve. So Moana.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual birthday, we went to dinner here in town and then the next day we went to Chicago and went out to dinner there. I turned 33.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
IF HILLARY CLINTON HAD WON.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2016?
Work from home running and yoga clothes shower at 4pm and put jammies on chic.
32. What kept you sane?
Running, yoga, my friends, my family, avoiding the news.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
DISGUSTING FLOPPY HAIR.
34. Who did you miss?
My mom and dad.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Even though I haven't seen them much recently, I did meet fun new improv friends here in Chicago.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Don't get too comfortable and don't believe what the pollsters tell you.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Last year I quoted Tracy Chapman and I'm doing it again this year. "Don't you know / They're talkin' about a revolution"